Thursday, October 21, 2010

SEEKING AN ESCAPE


If political correctness doesn’t soon drive our country into the refuse quagmire, then continuance of an unsustainable system that’s dependent on cheap, abundant energy will.  I’ve got some living to do before the current downward slide ends with a resounding bang. 

Noticing that oasis type havens have not been seeking me out, I have recently been in hot pursuit of retreats so that I may withdraw on occasion to higher ground.  I’m referring to parks, bike paths, walking paths - peaks, valleys and seashores seldom visited by the masses - and silent peace - anywhere that promises solace from the muddled masses.  These havens, I’m hoping, will suffice in allowing my sanity to remain for a time.

I’m pleased to report that my panicky search has brought about good results.  Today I discovered a great get-a-way location only five miles from our home. 

Vista View Park, a county park that was constructed  on top of and around an old landfill in the City of Davie, FL, is a perfect setting for biking, running, walking, or simply gazing out over the rooftops and crowded byways and highways from the decomposed mountain of trash.  If “mountain of trash” sounds uninviting or downright repulsive, please don’t dismiss this wonderful refuge as nothing more than a huge trash bin that grew toward the heavens over time.  The only disgusting odor in this park is the runners and bikers after many hours of moving about.  I can stomach stinky people but I cannot tolerate stinky dispositions. 

Another escape from reality and all of its tribulations is Markham Park in Weston, FL.  There, you can walk in peace, ride in peace, run in peace, be at peace with yourself and your God, watch model airplanes fly about overhead, picnic until you are stuffed to the gills, walk your dog in the doggie park while high stepping all the little brown lumps strewn about, shoot off your firearms at the firing range until you’re deaf in both ears, which may not be a bad thing, or you can just lay in the acres of manicured grass and fantasize until your fantasy becomes an imaginary reality.  Your options are countless!

And then there is CB Smith Park, an oasis in the midst of the earthly bog that looms large in my heart, especially since the entrance to this multi-lake 345 acre park is not but ½ mile from our gated community.  A short hop, skip and a jump from our front door and we’re away from the hustle and bustle of mortal madness.  You’ll find my wife and me in CB Smith Park two or three times per week, either biking, running or discussing the joys of our life while sitting underneath a large shady oak tree.   

But the search continues at breakneck speed.  Not wanting nary a day to pass without isolating myself from the growing hordes of ignoramuses, more and more places of concord must be added to my undersized list. 

I’ll even compromise my penchant for quietness and harmony by adding running and biking events to my escape queue.  I have eight of those already lined up for 2011.    

Like I said, I can stomach stinky people!   
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment