Friday, October 29, 2010

THE SEARCH CONTINUES

I recently read a lengthy blog post that was written by a lady that goes by the first name of Kathy.  No, I don’t know this lady personally.  I can only assume that she’s just one of many who express their opinions by using their writing skills and  free blog sites.  I do know that she’s been a clinical psychologist for the past 22 years, if that counts for anything.    

Kathy explained all the emotions realized when a person learns about and accepts peak oil - and when they finally exit the house of denial.  For those who continue to live in the dark or in a bat cave, peak oil is the dwindling supply of finite fossil fuels that supplies and sustains our current way of living. 

I have to say that the writer described every single reaction or emotion, good and bad, that I have personally experienced and still experience ever since I was introduced to mankind’s questionable future and society’s imminent crash. 

So what does peak oil have to do with our exercise blog?  Absolutely nothing!  Zero!  Zilch!  Nada! 

But wait, there may be a correlation!  Knowing full well that our standard of living and life in general is unsustainable in a world entirely dependent on abundant cheap energy, is there any wonder why I am hell bent on finding retreats of sorts?

If I was completely sold on the idea that living in the countryside far from mega-cities and highly populated areas was the ideal escape from the coming chaos, my search would be for more permanent retreats, such as the mountains and valleys of Tennessee and similar areas.  But that isn’t going to be the case, dear friends.  Xenophobes and isolationists in our future world will more than likely will be overrun by roving gangs in search of food and egocentric pleasure.  In future world, it’s best to think community.  There will be strength in numbers!  The movie "The Postman" comes to mind! 

Anyway, I did visit two Palm Beach County parks on the 26th of October, and I’m here to tell that some parks are worthy of visiting and others are not.  My first criterion when seeking nature reserves is security, with attractiveness coming in second. 

I visit parks for the purpose of biking and/or retrieving and keeping some semblance of sanity.  Parks, in my opinion, are a temporary escape from the muddled masses. 

Robbing Palm Beach County’s John Prince Park and Lake Osborne of its natural beauty were numerous vagrant types meandering in and around the huge expanse.  With few exceptions, the multicultural inhabitants (see, I’m being politically correct by not mentioning race, creed or place of origin) of this particular park were all pushing or pulling baby buggies.   Some of the colorful baby carts were double wide, meaning double trouble.  Maybe I’m being unfair or downright biased, but my initial thought was “anchor babies.”  Perhaps two anchor babies in the double wides!

At any rate, I was thrilled to see that my car was still intact and still resting in the parking area where an hour and a half earlier I bid it a loving farewell. 

After logging in 15 miles on the park’s bike paths, I hurriedly placed the bike back into the rear compartment of the SUV in a rush to exit the park.  I won’t be visiting John Prince Park anytime soon, if ever.

Realizing that I would be visiting another park within an hour, and certain that I would be riding my bike in park number two for a couple of hours, I then drove my truck with road bike in its belly to the nearest Burger King.  Huge mistake!

Did some or all of the park goers follow me to BK Steak House?  I honestly thought that was the case.  As soon as I slid into one of the rear booths, after first placing my Whopper with cheese, fries and a coke on the booth’s table, hordes of reprobates swarmed on the burger joint like starving locusts devouring a field of veggies. 

Their group presence was flat out frightening.  I wasn’t sure what I feared the most, the potential of being physically mugged or having my food stolen – or sneezed on – or breathed on.  After my initial bite into the soggy burger, I was ready to volunteer the burger and bun to the first taker.  On the other hand, I would have fought mightily to keep the super-sized fries and coke. 

Nevertheless, after hastily stuffing my face with my entire food order, off I went towards the next park following Samantha’s every directional command.  Samantha, in case you're not aware, is my Garmin GPS’s voice command.  She’s a lovely young lady, albeit a lovely young lady with a croaky voice.  Jan suggests that I switch to Darren, the gadgets male voice.  Sorry, but I prefer the female gender.      

Sam, which is short for Samantha, flawlessly led me to Okeeheelee County Park in Lake Worth, where I carefully rolled my bike out of the truck’s belly and readied the sleek two-wheeler for some additional miles, and with any luck, some smiles.  

Sizing up the area as soon as I entered the park’s attractive entryway, I chose the tennis court area to park my eight year old Ford Explorer.  All vehicles around me appeared to be new and shiny, assuring me that they were owned and operated by someone other than the multi-culture mob that I had encountered in the previous park.  I was feeling more comfortable already!

Okeeheelee Park was spacious and beautiful.  The bike paths were smooth and well maintained, as were the grounds and restroom areas, which, by the way, were devoid of any litter strewn about.  That was not the case in John Prince Park.  I especially liked the fact that all park goers greeted me with welcoming salutations in my homeland’s native language.    

While pedaling my new Felt bicycle with robustness all throughout the large park, I spotted only one baby buggy, a single wide being pushed by mom, dad and their small Poodle.  They, too, wished me a nice day accompanied by wide smiles.  Like everyone else that I came across in Okeeheelee Park, they received the same in return. 

It’s safe to say that I had found a temporary paradise on earth.

                       

1 comment:

  1. I just came across this blog (from Friday, October 29, 2010) ... YOU ROCK!!!

    Not only is the information about the two parks in the Palm Beach County area very helpful, the verbiage used in your sensative approach at "political correctness" is HILARIOUS!!

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete