Thursday, April 8, 2010

SWIM, BIKE AND RUN

Thirteen miles on the bike! Check! Over three miles race-walking! Check! Three-eighths of a mile swimming! Check! All three disciplines were completed in an acceptable time frame – not record breaking – but fast enough to call my first 2010 mock sprint triathlon a good endurance workout.
Being forced to cross-train because of an arthritic knee, I can’t come up with any better training routine than mock triathlons. I use the term “mock” because I’m not actually participating in a listed, sanctioned event. The distances are the same, but mock triathlons lack rivalry and you’re not being kicked in the head by other swimmers. Mock triathlons are what they are, training sessions or pretend triathlons.
This year, unlike past years, I will work my way up to the half ironman distances. I’m determined and focused like never before. Seventeen months from now when I reach the young age of 70, I want to be able to complete a half ironman – even if it’s just a neighborhood, simulated half ironman.
The 1.2 miles of swimming will not be a problem, nor will the 13.1 miles of running or race-walking. The most difficult discipline for me will be the biking. Whenever a narrow bike seat duels the prostate for 56 grueling miles, the bike seat will always come out the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment