Friday, January 1, 2010

WELCOME TO MY WALKING AND EXERCISE BLOG

I have promised myself that I will leave out anything and everything from this blog that is not directly related to exercise and/or walking. I say walking because that’s what I have become, a walker - and a fairly decent one at that.

Even though the following article was written some time ago, and despite downgrading to a speed-walker due to being diagnosed with spinal stenosis after 15 years of being an active runner, I feel it necessary to post this short article to show why I continue to participate in long distance running events, events such as marathons, etc., and why I refuse to give up hope by further regressing to the confines of a comfortable couch with a TV remote in hand.

Okay, so I do occasionally sit or lay on our couch with remote in hand, but only for brief entertainment sessions in between being active within the decorative walls of our small condo. For the most part, my inner condo activities include energetically playing with our two frisky kittens, happily coexisting with my lovely wife in all normal every day and evening activities, passionately writing down my many thoughts with the help of this computer in our comfy home office, doing all of the housework and loving it, and maintaining a workout schedule that would make a much younger and more physically able person quite proud.

Now that I have bored and mystified some of you with the above, here is the opening article. After this article and another short article reference competition, I'll begin posting everything that has to do with our exercise and walking regimens for the year 2010 and beyond. I promise - scout's honor!


Why I Run:

During one of my recent predawn training runs, I came upon an individual that was slothfully leaning against a rather large oak tree. While keeping a watchful eye on his puppy, a tiny little thing that was comically sniffing around for the perfect spot, the obviously out-of-shape, rotund gentleman was ingesting an early morning dose of poison from a cigarette that was repulsively hanging from his crooked mouth.

In my passing, he cynically murmured the question in my direction, “Why are you always running?” My inner sarcastic self wanted to respond, “So I will not look like you." Knowing that such a comment would certainly promote conflict, I chose to simply shrug my shoulders and run on by.

As my marathon training run continued, I realized that this person of enfeebled character opened up a question that could only be addressed with multiple answers. This very question has been one of great preponderance in my own mind on several long, arduous, exhausting runs.

The reasons for running are several and diverse, with not any one any more consequential than the other.

The majority of my runs are solo, with this silent solitude being a welcomed reversal from the typical assailment of unsolicited ado in my life. Running affords me my time of contemplation and assessment. My thoughts, ideas, dreams and emotions are unimpeded by forces beyond my control. This is my time for expressing joy or sadness, for outwardly laughing at life or occasionally weeping for less fortunate people than I, all without the feeling of embarrassment for letting my emotions surface.

Running is an exercise mastered or failed only by one self. The most expertise coach can only advise but cannot render any assistance in the actual physical training. In competitive running, the person who initially reaches the finish line is inarguably the winner. There is nothing political, judicious, opinionated, or prejudicial about competitive running. You can either bask in self-exaltation or you can cast the blame on yourself for not meeting your expectations. You’re in total control of your successes or failures.

My exercise equipment has been given to me from God and is accessible to all at no costs. My countless running trails are embellished from start to finish with nature’s finest decor. With its magnificent trees, seasonal flowers, and an occasional orchestral choir offered from the myriad of morning birds, nature’s spectacular treadmill is teeming with perpetual magnificence.

I’ve not yet mentioned the camaraderie with colleagues who share in this love of running. To share with others, stride for stride and breath for breath, the titillation of achieving certain goals, is beyond description. To be uplifted, or to do the uplifting during a long run, is what it’s all about. Perhaps we should have the world take note and follow our example.

As long as I am blessed with the ability to run, I shall do so with a grateful heart. As long as I am able to run, my thoughts and prayers will be with those who are not capable.

No comments:

Post a Comment