Friday, January 29, 2010

LAST DAY OF TRAINING

   Adhering to a marathon training schedule is next to impossible.  We can scribble down on paper all that we intend to accomplish, mileage, place, time of day we plan to train, but life’s many obstacles always seem to alter about half of what we have planned.  No, make that more than half. 
   What I’m getting at is that no matter our good intentions, or wishes, we find ourselves consistently going to backup plan B, or even to backup to the backup plan B, backup plan C.  Flexibility, so we have learned over time, is a necessary evil when training for a marathon. 
   With Janet’s work schedule being as it is, getting off work late one night and then having to report to work early the next morning, on occasion she finds herself opting for needed sleep over training.  Today was just such a day – and I totally agree with her selection.  In the long run, sacrificing required sleep for marathon training would be detrimental to her overall health.
   I have no excuses, though.  Should I irrationally choose not to train simply because Janet can’t, then shame on me.  Not wanting to be shamed or ridiculed, or told that I’m lazy, that narrows my options down to zero.  So train I must!
   Get thee behind me, bad back and bad knee, for I go forth and walk regardless of your feeble attempts to sloth my body.  Don’t tread on me infirmities, for I shall mock your futility.  Get up, lace those shoes, get out the door, pick your path, just do it, and then finish with pride.

   Today's easy three easy miles was my last training day before Sunday's half marathon.
   I’m looking forward to this Sunday, when my beautiful wife and I, together, shall claim victory again over 13.1 miles of roadways and bridges - no matter the weather.    
            
             

         

No comments:

Post a Comment