Thursday, April 12, 2012

RIDING WITH THE FAST BUNCH

Holy cow, can those boys and girls ever pedal them road bikes fast.  I say boys and girls; one guy is 81 years of age. I'm not making this up!

Okay, so I decided to ride with the fast group instead of doing my usual slug ride. For the first 20 miles, I had no problem staying with the fast peloton.

It was around mile 20 or so, right when the leader sprinted away from a traffic signal, did I have an issue with keeping up. I have a tendency to be super cautious at intersections, more so than the average biker, so once I fell a few feet behind and couldn't catch the pace line, even though I was traveling over 24 mph, I backed down my Felt Z6 Bike to 20 mph the rest of the way to the coffee shop. No sense in killing myself just to catch up.

On the way back to the barn from the coffee shop, I and three other biking amigos slowed the pace somewhat while the others continued at a break-neck pace.

All in all, it was a doggone nice ride with some really seasoned cyclists. If I ever expect to get faster, I'll have to up my speed more often. I can do it!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/167022293

No comments:

Post a Comment